Email marketing is a vital part of any online business. It will help your business be more efficient and automates your follow up with leads that you receive online.
Having systems in place allows your business to grow ten-fold, instead of letting valuable leads slip through the cracks.
One of the oldest and still very popular software on the market for email marketing is Constant Contact.
I remember when I first started in online marketing about 17 years ago, Constant Contact was one of the only ones out at the time.
Today I will break down ten of the alternatives and competitors to Constant Contact.
So let’s dive right in!
Interesting Comparison : AWeber Vs Constant Contact
Active Campaign is one of my favorite email marketing platforms because of the advanced capabilities that it has that give you complete control over your campaigns.
It’s very advanced and lets you have multiple triggers, segmentations, and conditions to meet every need that you could possibly have.
There is a whole list of features that ActiveCampaign offers, but I want to make sure to highlight the most important ones today.
Email Marketing – When it comes to Active Campaign’s email marketing platform, they offer the following features:
- Subscription forms
- Dynamic forms
- Email segmentation
- Split testing
Marketing Automation – ActiveCampaign has one of the most advanced automation platforms available out of the software we are comparing today.
Sales & CRM – Active Campaign has a wonderful CRM system so that you can manage your entire sales pipeline.
Their sales automation tool can notify sales teams, update projects, create different tasks for different people, and nurture leads on auto-pilot.
Having a proper follow-up system is vital for every business, and having a reliable software such as Active Campaign to handle the heavy-lifting for you will help your bottom line tremendously.
Active Campaign also employs machine learning, which allows their platform to determine what campaigns are sending the best and are predicted to do better than others so that you can spend your money where it can get you the best results.
Active Campaign has the ability for you to use SMS messaging, develop Facebook custom audiences, send messages straight from your website, and use conversations to communicate quicker with your potential customers.
Active Campaign is not the cheapest email marketing platform, but it’s to be expected because of the advanced capabilities it offers to its users.
Let’s look at the four pricing plans below.
- Lite (starting at $9/month)
- Plus (starting at $49/month)
- Professional (starting at $129/month)
- Enterprise (starting at $229/month)
Every plan price will stay the same up to 500 contacts until you start messing around with the pricing calculator.
For example, if I have up to 5,000 contacts, you’re pricing will increase accordingly. See the image below.
2. Get Response
GetResponse is a wonderful email marketing platform that has more advanced features like ActiveCampaign, but at a slightly better price. It’s a very popular software that is used by some of the more advanced online marketers for good reason.
It’s ability to segment, tag, organize contacts, create rules, and manage lists are second to none.
I found the interface to be a little bit less user-friendly then Active Campaign, but you the choice is ultimately up to you.
GetResponse has several powerful features that can help you grow your business, including the following:
- Email marketing – The email marketing platform allows you to easily create newsletters using one of their templates, or you can make them from scratch. You can also get fancy by using dynamic content to tailor your campaign emails to specific audiences.
- Auto funnel marketing – This allows you to build and create your own landing pages and powerful marketing funnels for all of your leads.
- Landing page creator – With GetResponse’s landing page creator, you can build your own or choose from pre-made, mobile-responsive templates.
- Marketing automation – You can use GetResponse’s drag-and-drop builder to create a dynamic workflow and set up rules to segment your audience.
- Webinars – This is a great feature to have so you can get in front of your audience and build a true relationship with them. It’s a feature that I love about GetResponse, but can be a little advanced for some people if you are just starting out.
- Autoresponder – Autoresponders allow you to create an email campaign then schedule it to send on certain dates in the future. A must-have feature to help automate the work you have to do.
Related : Best GetResponse Alternatives
Get Response has four different pricing plans:
For up to 1000 subscribers
- Basic – $15/mo
- Plus – $49/mo
- Professional – $99/mo
- Enterprise – $1,199/mo
For up to 2,500 subscribers
- Basic – $45/mo
- Plus – $79/mo
- Professional – $139/mo
- Enterprise – $1,199/mo
For up to 5,000 subscribers
- Basic – $65/mo
- Plus – 95/mo
- Professional – $165/mo
- Enterprise – $1,199/mo
Beyond 5,000, you are getting into larger pricing plans, of course. Just head on over to the pricing calculator to determine what package you are going to need for your business.
Interesting Comparison : GetReponse Vs ClickFunnels
MailChimp is a classic email marketing platform that has been around a really long time. It’s one of the more popular ones among small businesses.
MailChimp is most known for the beautiful newsletters that it can create. Most people started out using them for this, and as the company evolved, it has become much more than that.
- Marketing CRM – Great for managing all of your leads that come in from your campaigns.
- Tags and segmentations – Tagging and segmenting your contacts are vital to organizing your campaign so you can judge the success and continue to target your audience in the most successful way possible.
- Email and landing page templates – Mailchimp has wonderful templates that can be used for all of your campaign needs.
- Campaigns – MailChimp gives you the ability to do several different types of campaigns including, social media, landing pages, digital ads, postcards, and automations.
- Tracking and analytics – You will have the ability to track every part of your campaign and analyze how it is performing using their tracking and analytics tools.
Related : Best MailChimp Alternatives
MailChimp has a free plan, so you can get started.
From there, they have three other pricing plans in which you will use the price calculator to determine the cost based on your email subscribers:
Related : MailChimp Vs Constant Contact
SendPulse is a nice email software that lets you send messages to your audience through multiple channels such as SMS, email, transactions, and automations.
SendPulse is unique in that it offers Facebook Chatbots, a tool called Viber, and something called Web Push. These are all very effective tools that can take your campaigns and outreach to the next level.
- Drag-and-drop editor
- Ability to create subscription forms
- Trigger emails – They can be sent after someone abandons a cart, opts into your newsletter, feedback emails, and much more
- Reporting and analytics – You will have the ability to view reports and put them into nice graphs to make it easier to understand your results.
- Web Push monetization – You can earn money by sending push notifications. First, the consumer must allow them, but it’s reported by SendPulse that over 44% of consumers will allow push notifications, so it gives you that extra opportunity to make some more money.
SendPulse has several different pricing options that you can choose from depending on what you need for your business.
Their plan is very flexible and affordable and also has a pay-as-you-go plan. Let’s take a quick look.
- Email marketing – They have a variety of pricing plans starting at $9.85/mo for up to 2500 subscribers.
- Transactional email pricing – Has a free Basic plan for up to 12,000 emails, then goes to $59.88/mo for up to 100,000 emails, then goes to $219.88/mo for up to 500,000 emails.
- SMS pricing – Flat rate of .022 per 1 code
- Web Push pricing – Free, then moves to the white label plan starting at $9.85/month
- Viber pricing is based on country. Find out more here.
- Facebook messenger pricing has a free plan then goes to $9.85/month for a white label option.
MailerLite is a great little platform for sending email newsletters. It’s simple and affordable and works perfectly for the small to medium-sized business owner.
- Drag-and-drop editor, HTML editor, and rich text editors
- Newsletter templates
- Ecommerce campaigns
- Tools to grow your subscriber list include landing pages, pop-ups, and embedded forms
- Email automation, tagging, and segmentation
- A/B split testing
- Auto resend to people who didn’t open your emails
- Tracking includes campaign reports, surveys, click maps, and opens by location
Explore : SendInblue Vs MailerLite
As you can see above in the image, the pricing is based on subscribers as well as the number of emails you send out each month.
Most of the same features are included in all of the packages except for the free package.
Sendinblue is a French email marketing service that is another great alternative to Constant Contact.
Originally, they started out as a transactional email system, and then eventually converted over to a full-service email marketing platform.
Sendinblue has a lot of great features that will help you get everything you need to be done for your campaign, but don’t expect it to be as powerful as other platforms such as ActiveCampaign.
Email Marketing – Sendinblue has a decent email marketing platform, but as mentioned above, it’s not as sophisticated as some of the others, but it will be perfect for businesses who value simplicity over technicalities.
Here are some of the main features of the email marketing campaigns:
- Drag-and-drop editor
- Tracking and analytics are basic such as opens, clicks, and black-listed users.
- All templates are fully responsive. Once you’ve created your template, you can save them and then use them again.
- Comes with its own image editor
- SMS Messages can be sent on top of the email campaigns.
Transactional Campaigns – Transactional emails, as mentioned earlier, were Sendinblue’s original product when they first started. They still have transactional email campaigns, which are good for people who have online retail stores.
Sendinblue allows you to set up the campaign using several different options such as SMTP, API, and eCommerce plugins. You can use one of the templates that Sendinblue has prebuilt for you, or you can start completely from scratch.
Automation Campaigns – The Sendinblue marketing automation campaigns allow you to save time by creating campaigns ahead of time and then scheduling them out for a later date or putting the emails on a particular schedule.
Sendinblue lets you add actions and set certain rules and parameters that trigger specific events. In this case, let’s say you are trying to build your subscriber list, so you create a customized opt-in form for new leads.
You can set a rule that triggers an email to go out instantly when the prospect opts-into your form.
Read : Complete SendInBlue Review
Sendinblue has some pretty reasonable pricing plans, and they offer a free plan as well as pay-as-you-go plans.
If we look at each one quickly, here’s what you’ll see:
- Free plan – you can send up to 300 emails/day
- Lite plan ($25/month) – you can send up to 40,000 emails/month
- Essential plan ($39/month) – you can send up to 60,000 emails/month
- Premium plan ($66/month) – you can send up to 120,000 emails/month
- Enterprise plan – This is for companies who need a larger sending limit.
To view the full list of what each plan includes click here.
Related : SendInblue Vs Constant Contact
7. Convert Kit
Convert Kit focuses most of its marketing to the younger, digital generation such as the bloggers, Youtube video makers, and podcast creators.
They are one of the younger email marketing companies but have been growing quickly.
- Top-notch tagging capabilities
- Responsive email templates
- Reports and Analytics, yet very basic such as open rates and click-through rates
- Email templates, but not as many as some of the other platforms
- Lets you create a landing page to collect subscribers.
- You can change your email sequences depending on what the user does, yet it doesn’t have the best visualization tool for viewing it.
- Segmentation of audiences
- Good support
- Designing a newsletter is only possible through HTML coding.
- 70+ direct integrations
Related : ConvertKit Vs AWeber
Convert Kit, unfortunately, doesn’t have a free plan, which hopefully we will see in the future. On top of that, they aren’t the cheapest platform out there, but they provide a great product.
Convert Kit has three pricing plans:
- $29/month – for up to 1000 subscribers
- $49/month – for 1,000 – 3,000 subscribers per month
- $79/month – 3,000 – 5,000 subscribers per month
If you go over 5,000 subscribers, you can use their calculator to determine what your next pricing level will be.
MailGet markets themselves as an email marketing platform that is 100x cheaper. It’s a fairly new company started by Neeraj Agarwal and Pankaj Agarwal.
Its primary target market is people who want a cheap and affordable way to send emails.
With MailGet, you can connect several SMTPs to send emails and send emails through these SMTPs, which include SendGrid, MailGun, Amazon, and SES. There are several more, but those are the big ones.
You may be wondering what the advantage of this is, but simply put, using several SMTPs allows the deliverability rates to be higher than normal.
Form Builder – MailGet allows you to create forms quickly and easily. You can do this all through their drag and drop builder. You can share and embed these forms anywhere you would like.
It’s also nice because they have a feature with their forms that allows the data to be pre-filled for faster checkouts if you’re an online retailer, for example.
You can use PayPal and Stripe to collect payments as well as get email notifications when those payments and form submissions come in.
The form builder also gives you the ability to connect your form with email marketing apps such as MailChimp, Active Campaign, Get Response, Mad Mini, and several others.
Email Marketing – One of the best things about MailGet is their price. But they also have a super-simple email marketing platform, but don’t let that fool you because as you will see below, they also have a robust list of abilities that their software can bring to the table.
- MailGet comes with their own prebuilt SMTP at no additional charge, or you can connect your own SMTP application like Amazon SES, MailGun, etc.
- Integrates with Zapier, Google Analytics, and Wufoo.
- With MailGet, they have a powerful list-cleaning service that allows you to remove any spam, old email addresses, or email addresses that have bounced.
- Drip campaigns are included and can be used to deliver specific emails to your audience on certain dates and times.
- You can import outside email addresses from Excel or CSV file to your MailGet account.
- You can set up a feature that allows you to send automatic follow-up emails to people who have not opened your emails.
- Tracking and analytics are available for all of your campaigns.
- You can create opt-in forms and integrate them with virtually any other software.
Mailget has very reasonable prices and you will have the ability to test their platform using a free trial. From there, they have the following plans based on subscriber count:
- $29/month – up to 5,000 subscribers
- $49/month – up to 15,000 subscribers
- $99/month – up to 50,000 subscribers
If you need more, you can simply use their pricing calculator to determine what fits your needs the best.
Delivra is a powerful email marketing platform that has been around for over 15 years. It’s a cloud-based marketing platform that works well for small to medium-sized businesses.
Delivra is known for its excellent customer service.
Delivra has a fantastic program for online retail businesses who need help with email marketing to their potential shoppers to create more sales.
Below are the highlighted features of Delivra that you can use.
For building your email marketing templates:
- Drag and Drop Editor
- Customized Email Templates
- Email previewer to ensure that your emails are exactly like you want them
- The ability to send your customers SMS messages
- The ability to create and send email newsletters
For reaching out to your targeted audience:
- List building
- Preference center
- Engagement scoring
- Social Sharing
Tools for automating your campaigns:
- Marketing automation
- Email nurturing
- Lead alerts
- Welcome email
Delivra also allows you to do A/B split testing including, subject lines, images, and many other things. You can track how all of this does through their analytics and reporting that they offer.
Delivra also has several integrations to go along with their platform, which makes it easy to connect with third-party platforms.
Delivra has three pricing packages, including Basic, Professional, and Enterprise.
All packages come with lead and contact management, asset management, campaigns, automated campaigns, and analytics. Each pricing level gets more advanced in terms of the features that were just mentioned.
Delivra has one of the more expensive starting packages, so this might not be the best email marketing software if you’re on a tight budget.
Vertical Response is another platform that is fantastic for small businesses. Like other email marketing platforms, its pricing is based on the number of subscribers you have in your contact list.
It has similar functionalities in that it has a drag and drop editor.
You can create any HTML email templates you would like, A/B split testing (although not as robust because it only allows you to test the email subject lines), automation capabilities, and segmentation.
Vertical Response is very competitive in its pricing model. You can use their pricing calculator to determine what the pricing will be for your business.
Vertical Response has a free version that gives you up to 4000 emails/month to up to 300 contacts.
After that, they have three plans namely, Basic (starting at $11/mo), Pro (starting at $16/mo), and Pro Plus (starting at $196/mo).
All of their plans come with several core features including email editor, contact list management, reports & analytics, mobile-responsive templates, image library access, and much more.
Believe it or not, there are a bunch more email marketing platforms that I didn’t talk about in this article.
But these ten that I mentioned should get you started on the right foot, especially Active Campaign, Mail Chimp, Get Response, and Convert Kit, which tend to be the most popular email marketing platforms today.
Lisa is a digital marketing content expert that focuses on SEO, SEM, and lead generating strategies. With over 13 years of experience in the field, she has helped numerous set-ups over the years achieving their business goals. Read more about her at TheGoldenPen