One of the easiest ways for artists to sell their art online for a profit is with print on demand.
Whether you want to sell wall art or other creative artwork, print on demand lets you sell your art with no upfront fees.
Regardless of what type of art you paint or the kind of creative work you make, there are many platforms that let you sell online, without investing in any material upfront.
You don’t have to buy canvases or prints – the print on demand platform will provide it all for you and even print your work on those canvases.
All you have to do is upload your art to the online platform. Then, when an order comes in, the print on demand company will print your work on the canvas and ship it to your customer.
You may also be able to have your art printed on items like wallpaper, mugs, and even t-shirts.
Some print on demand platforms let you sell original artwork you already own as well.
Let us get into it.
Best Print On Demand Sites For Artists (Free & Paid)
Printful is always my go-to recommendation for entrepreneurs wanting to start a print on demand business, and it’s no different for artists.
Printful offers print on demand giclée printing for artists who want to sell prints and canvases online without investing any money upfront.
Giclée is a word borrowed from French. It means to spray, squirt, or splash.
Giclée prints are produced using inkjet printers that spray paint onto canvases and other materials, producing high-quality art with precise colors.
Not all inkjet printers can produce giclée prints. Giclée prints are high-quality and superior to standard prints; they require the capturing of the design in high resolution and the use of high-quality materials.
By using Printful to sell your art on demand, you can rest assured knowing that the prints sent to your customers will be top-notch.
To sell with Printful, select the size and type of canvas or print you want to sell. Then, use the mock-up generator to upload your design and fit it to the canvas.
You will need to connect your Printful account to an online store. Fortunately, Printful integrates with all kinds of eCommerce platforms and marketplaces, including:
- And many more
Some of the reasons to choose Printful to sell your prints online, besides the ability to sell giclée prints, are its features and tools. They include:
- Add branded pack-ins and slips to your art when it ships out
- Ship to anywhere in the world
- Sell glossy or matte prints (glossy prints have a shiny finish, matte prints have texture)
- Fulfillment fees for artwork start at just $5.95
Check out how Printful does when put against other popular print on demand players in the market.
Create & sell your own custom design products online with print-on-demand dropshipping.
Free signup • No order minimums • 258 products
Printify is another excellent print on demand platform for artists.
You can sell canvas art and photo canvas prints through Printify for free (there is a premium plan too if you want discounts – check it out here).
Printify uses high-quality canvas – both framed and stretched – and wall decals.
Selling on Printify is as easy as uploading your art and choosing which type of art you want to sell.
Here are some of the reasons I recommend that artists use Printify to sell their art:
- You can sell gallery wrapped canvases. These canvases have no frame, and you can’t see the fasteners. Usually, the print color is not only on the front of the canvas but also on the sides.
- You can sell stretched canvas art. Usually, these canvases will have a soft wood or kiln-dried frame. The canvas is stretched on stretcher bars and is ready to be hung on walls.
- You can sell premium gallery wrap canvas art. These canvases are attached to the frame with staples. The entire image is on the front, not on the sides.
- All of these canvases are made with high-quality materials. They are easy to clean. Also, they come with hanging or mounting hardware, so they are ready to be hung on walls or mounted for display by the customer easily. Many have protective felt bumpers too.
- The canvas prints have texture and a matte finish. In other words, there is no annoying shiny finish, which lowers the quality of the look.
- All prints are permanent and long-lasting. The canvases are made of 100 percent cotton, which helps them absorb the color.
- Canvas prints start at just $12 (base price). If you sell a $12 canvas for $30, for example, you are left with an $18 profit.
Printify uses an inkjet printer to print your design on the canvas.
Then, they either wrap it on the frame (with no border) or put it in on a frame with a border, depending on the option you chose.
Before you sell your art, you can order a sample to ensure that the canvas or print is exactly how you like it.
You also have a wide range of platforms you can sell on, including:
Explore other interesting Printify posts.
Create and dropship Custom Products with your design · 100% free · Easy to use · 250+ products · 90+ print providers.
Fine Art America is one of the oldest and most respected print on demand platforms for artists. You can sell your work on items like:
- Framed wall art
- Canvas prints
- Metal prints
- Wooden prints
- Coffee mugs
- Shower curtains
- Yoga mats
- Greeting cards
- Tech accessories
- T-shirts and other apparel
- And much more
As you can see, you are not limited to paintings, prints, and other types of traditional art.
You can be creative and sell designs that go on mugs, bags, and more.
Here’s how it works: Sign up for an artist account on the Fine Art America website.
Then, upload images or designs that you have created.
As mentioned, those designs can be sold on all kinds of prints and paintings.
There are hundreds of different frames and styles available.
There are 14 fulfillment centers around the world.
When an order comes in, Fine Art America employees will handcraft your print and send it directly to your customer.
Only premium materials are used, so your art will look terrific.
Where can you sell your art online?
There are a number of options provided by Fine Art America.
Using FAA’s tools, you can create branded websites to display your art and set up marketing campaigns to reach art enthusiasts on Facebook.
You set your own prices, so you can control how much you earn.
Fine Art America will charge you a base price to cover the costs of producing each item, but you can add a markup on top of that.
For example, if it costs $30 for the canvas itself, and you sell the final product for $50, you will get a $20 profit.
In addition to print on demand, you can sell any originals that you have lying around.
For original artwork, there are no commission fees – Fine Art America lets you list your work, and customers can message you directly to arrange a sale.
You can also sell digital versions of your art on Fine Art America.
The advantage of doing that is that since there are no base costs involved, you can keep 100 percent of your asking price (FAA will add a small markup on top of that, which they will keep).
Also, you can set custom licenses when selling digital art on Fine Art America.
4. Art Pal
Art Pal is an awesome site dedicated entirely to artists and art lovers.
Not only can you sell art originals, but they have a print on demand service that allows you to sell your artwork without investing in any materials upfront.
If you have existing artwork, you can get it scanned or photographed professionally, and then upload that photograph to Art Pal, so you can sell it via print on demand.
What kind of art can you sell on Art Pal? You can sell:
- And more
Buyers will even be able to choose what kind of frame they want at checkout.
You are in full control over your earnings, as you can set your own prices.
You Might Want To Read: Best Print On Demand For Books
Contrado is a print on demand company that lets you sell several types of art.
Here are some types of art you can sell as an artist on Contrado:
- Custom sized art prints
- Framed prints
- Metal prints
- Fabric wall hangings
- Mini canvas sets
Contrado uses edge to edge printing with high definition. They hand stretch the canvas prints and use FSC certified wood for frames.
All art is handmade at the Contrado facility within two to three days. You can add your label to your products too.
As a seller on Contrado, you will get a commission of at least 20 percent on each sale.
If you decide to raise your price, you will be able to earn more than that.
In addition to selling on a branded Contrado store, you can connect your Shopify store and sell your art there.
Besides prints, canvas, and other artwork, you can sell over 200 other products, like t-shirts.
Artists looking to sell giclée or acrylic prints, as well as wall paintings, can also turn to Gooten, a print on demand platform serving artists and other creators.
Gooten uses an inkjet printer to print high-quality archival inks on high-quality materials.
The artwork you create comes in either a square or rectangle shape.
You can choose from many sizes of giclée prints, starting from 5.8×8.3 and going all the way up to 48×48.
It is very affordable, too: Prices start at just $2.22 for the smallest option.
Some sizes are printed on smooth art paper, while others are printed on luster art paper.
For some sizes, there is the option of choosing one or the other.
Choose smooth art paper if you want paper with a smooth, traditional feel.
If you want art that has some texture and a semi-gloss finish, choose luster art paper.
The only downside is the high shipping costs. Although prices for giclée prints start at just $2.22, shipping is $11.29.
That is because giclée prints ship from the UK. However, you can have your art shipped to any country in the world.
There are various other products artists can sell on Gooten using print on demand. Here are some of them:
- Framed prints: Framed prints ship with a wooden frame around your art, which is printed with high-quality pigment-based inks. It comes ready to hang, and you can choose from five colors for the frame: Black, white, walnut, cherry, and natural. These prints ship from the US, not the UK.
- Canvas wraps: Canvas wraps ship for just $4.99, from several countries. They come with hanging hardware installed, so your customers can hang them up right away.
- Professional prints: You can have your art printed on high-quality professional paper. Paper types include gloss, semi-gloss, luster, metallic, and more.
- Calendars: Design custom calendars with pages filled with your artwork.
- Acrylic trays: These are really beautiful because they make your art look three-dimensional. Your work will be encased in glass, and you can sell replacement art separately.
- Various other products: These include stickers, magnets, notebooks, desk mats, and more.
Why choose Gooten to sell your art? Here are some of the benefits of working with Gooten:
- Gooten works with a number of manufacturers and print providers. This allows them to ensure that products remain in stock.
- In addition to all the products I mentioned, there are around 100 other products you can sell.
- You can sell your art on Etsy with Gooten’s Etsy integration. If you want to create your own store, you can use the API or the built-in
Shopifyand WooCommerce integrations.
- You can set your own prices and control how much money you make.
Prodigi is a print on demand platform with manufacturing facilities in the UK and Europe.
They focus on sustainability and environmental responsibility, so they are a great option for artists who care about the environment.
Artists around the world, not just in Europe, can use Prodigi.
Many products ship from the United States or Australia in addition to Europe or the UK.
There are several types of art you can sell as an artist on Prodigi.
There are three types of canvas you can sell:
- Framed canvas: You can sell stretched canvas with a traditional photo frame. There is a small 5 mm distance between the edge of the canvas and the frame, giving it a unique look. The frame can be black, white, or brown, and prices start at just £12.60. Giclée printing is used.
- Stretched canvas: If you want to sell stretched canvas without a photo frame, you have that option as well.
- Rolled canvas: Rolled canvases are not stretched onto a frame but instead can be rolled up, allowing for more space optimization.
If you want to sell traditional, framed wall art, you have the following options:
- Classic frames
- Box frames, which add a little depth
- Spacer frames, which come in different styles and have additional depth
- Surface frames, which don’t have depth and are very thin
- Gloss frames, which are shiny
- Swoop frames, which have a curved profile
- And more
Frames come with strings attached, so they are ready to be hung right away.
Here are some other products you can sell as an artist on Prodigi:
- Art prints
- Mounted prints
- Device cases
The great part about Prodigi is that they have BigCommerce and Shopify apps.
As such, selling print on demand art on your own website is super easy.
Also, they allow you to submit orders manually using the manual order form or the bulk CSV. upload tool, regardless of which platform or marketplace you are using to sell.
Pwinty is a print on demand platform with several types of products geared towards artists and other content creators.
If you want to sell wall art, you can sell these products with Pwinty:
- Gloss photo prints
- Metallic photo prints
- Luster photo prints
- Fine art paper
- Framed prints that are mounted and ready to hang
- Stretched canvas, printed with giclée technology
- Framed canvases
- Rolled canvases, without a frame or base
- Beautiful acrylic panels
- Aluminum prints
- Foam boards
- Water-resistant gator boards
Other types of artwork you can sell include:
- Acrylic prisms, which have a 3D look and are perfect for desks or shelves
- Greeting cards
You can also sell your creative designs on products like phone cases, mugs, hoodies, t-shirts, and towels.
The one downside of using Pwinty is that they do not have
In the meantime, you can submit orders manually, via an online order form, or via email.
Over 80 percent of products are shipped out within 24-48 hours. They are shipped directly to your customers.
Pwinty uses white-label branding.
This means that your customers won’t know that Pwinty is fulfilling your art for you, because no Pwinty branding will appear on the artwork.
Jondo has 10 locations around the world, making it perfect for artists who sell internationally.
They have locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, the UK, and Australia.
In addition, they have many more locations being planned, including in China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, Dubai, South Africa, Singapore, and Amsterdam.
Jondo uses water-based inks and they try to reduce their carbon impact.
Here are some of the products artists can sell with Jondo:
- Stretched, framed, and rolled canvas: You can choose between a matte and gloss finish. Stretched and framed canvases come with hanging hardware preinstalled.
- Rolled or framed paper prints: These are available in a metallic or semi-gloss finish. Framed prints come with hanging hardware and bumpers.
- Metal prints: These come with wood mounting hardware.
- Acrylic prints: These have polished edges.
- Peel and stick prints: These can be applied directly to a surface without any hanging hardware.
Some other products you can sell include:
- Face masks
Jondo integrates with both
Also, you can use their own platform, called Jondo Go.
The Order Desk app, provided by Jondo, allows you to manage your orders quickly and easily.
All in all, Jondo is a great platform that I would recommend for artists and other content creators.
10. Interest Print
The last print on demand platform on this list is Interest Print. Interest Print integrates with
They deliver with several shipping providers, including DHL, FedEx, USPS, UPS, and others.
They have a wide selection of products, including several types of wall art.
As an artist selling via Interest Print, you might be interested in selling these products:
- Canvas prints
- Art prints
- Metal prints
- Wood door hanging signs
Other unique products that you can spell with Interest Print, which aren’t really offered by many other print on demand platforms, include:
- Garden flags
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Hooded blankets
- Mailbox covers
- Photo lamps
- Oven mitts
- Rechargeable lighters
- Playing cards
- Door openers
- Fidget spinners
- All kinds of shoes, including flip flops, boots, and more
Which print on demand platform lets you sell photo lamps, rechargeable lighters, fidget spinners, and clocks with your custom art on them?
Not many, which is why I think Interest Print is a great option for artists who want to stand out and do something unique.
Products that are shipped from the US factory usually take 3-5 days to arrive, provided they are being shipped to a US address.
There is also an Australian factory, which is great if you have Australian customers.
Wrapping It Up: What Is The Best Print On Demand Platform For Artists?
Printful is always my number 1 recommendation. I choose Printful due to its ease of use, the ability to get started for free, and the wide range of products offered.
Printful is well known and has a great reputation. Products are printed using high-quality materials, and they get shipped on time.
In addition, the ability to add custom pack-in slips allows you to take your branding to the next level.